The primary goal of CAST is to reduce violence and abuse of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs by partnering with other organizations in the community.
- Help create mentoring experiences for young people.
- Involve youth in drug-free project planning and other decision making opportunities.
- Alcohol and smoking is not a rite of passage for teens that do activities that model drug-free lifestyles.
- Influence community ordinances that encourage healthy lifestyle values; e.g., fines for adults hosting parties where alcohol is accessible to youth, no smoking in public restaurants, etc.
- Help families establish “Family Policies” against underage drinking and smoking, and clearly identify the consequences. Include what positive consequences are in it for youth who make good choices.
- Visit Our Programs for more examples of partnering ideas.
- Some partnering ideas may not involve funding -- just an understanding of the joint venture.
- Some partnering may include funding to CAST to build our capacity to promote community health.
- Some partnering may request mini-grants from CAST to build their capacity to include prevention efforts in their mission.
- For more information about CAST Partners In Prevention Project, call Lorraine Kaul, CAST Coordinator, at (401) 397-5616.
Partners In Prevention Community Input Needed!
There is a grant opportunity coming our way. We have heard some ideas on what youth ages 9-12 need to keep them making healthy choices. We would like more input.
If your organization wanted to involve youth ages 9-17 in efforts that would help them make healthy choices and ultimately lead a drug-free life style:
- What would you be willing to do?
- How do you know that your activity is needed?
- How do you know your activity would help?
- How much would it cost?
- If you can't do anything but know what is needed, what is your idea?
- Other comments you may have that may direct us in providing for the needs of this age group.
We are looking for ideas from representatives from a cross section of the community; e.g., police, faith-based organizations, schools, businesses, town government, recreational programs, service organizations, after-school programs, parent organizations, families, etc.
Send ideas to:
Foster, RI 02825
Attn: Lorraine Kaul, Coordinator
Please respond immediately. For more information about this survey or other CAST projects, call Lorraine Kaul at (401) 397-5616.