Youth to Youth Anti-Smoking Campaign
Ponaganset High School Youth to Youth Group
SOME INTERESTING FACTS & STATS
- 90% of current smokers began as teenagers.
- Approximately 5 million children alive today will eventually die as a result of smoking.
- The average age of first use of tobacco is 11-15 years of age.
- Youth tend to underestimate that they will become addicted.
- Each year children consume between 516 and 947 million packs of cigarettes and 26 million cans of spit tobacco.
- The younger a person is when they start to smoke, the less likely they will be able to quit.
HEALTH EFFECTS OF TOBACCO
- Smoking is the single most preventable cause of mortality.
- Every 13 seconds someone dies from tobacco use.
- Over 400,000 deaths are caused by smoking each year in the United States.
- Smoking causes nearly 90% of all lung cancer and throat cancer.
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR CHILDREN TOBACCO-FREE
- Make your home and car tobacco-free spaces.
- Learn about tobacco and nicotine and how they affect the human body.
- Support restrictions on smoking in public places and work sites.
- Don't invest in tobacco companies.
- Support political leaders who support common sense tobacco regulation.
- Understand how, where, and why the tobacco companies advertise their products.
- Discuss other smoking-related negatives; ex., fatal fires and litter.
- Don't let cigarettes seem like one more course for rebellion.
NO SMOKING ON SCHOOL GROUNDS
The Foster-Glocester School Committee adopted a policy that bans smoking on school grounds.